Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut - So It Goes

1922 — 2007



With the death of Mr. Vonnegut ( on Aprill 11th) comes this mean spirited obituary from FOX NEWS. For all those not in the know Mr. Vonnegut was the man. He wrote words that cut right to the core of our foibles and hypocrisy. In other words he was one of the greats in the American literary canon. I am personally saddend by FOX's treatment of this man's death.


Here is a bio:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Vonnegut


Explanation of the term "Literary Canon":


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_canon

4 comments:

pissed off patricia said...

You can always depend on Fox to spit in the lemonade. That's how they stay in business.

Rick said...

totally agree.

Anonymous said...

That was indeed a mean spirited obituary, but from the network which gives us O’Reilly, I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Vonnegut was a special sort of writer and gets short shrift for having been read mostly by young people (or by people while they happened to be young.) I’m sure if you picked him up expecting to see human subtleties handled like Faulkner would, you’d be disappointed. I said to someone last week the he hit you with ideas the way Ali hit with jabs.

I know he had some deeply unhappy times. I hope he ultimately found some happiness in life outside of irony. I hope he came, like Wallace Stevens, to “study the origin and course of love,” and to see that “fluttering things have so distinct a shade.”

Anonymous said...

Fox shamelessly distorts information to make some people seem unimportant. They marginalize their enemies by labeling them "crazy". Their bio said that he "failed" at suicide. They even made a tragic time in Vonnegut's life a sign of weakness. He was such a loser, he couldn't even kill himself properly...There's a special place in hell for the writers at Fox.